‘Doc’ Halladay Leads Long List of PSWA Honorees
The Philadelphia Sports Writers Association host its 107th annual Awards Dinner at the Crowne Plaza, Cherry Hill on Monday, Jan. 31. Click here for tickets..
This year the Philadelphia Sports Writers Association will honor:
* Roy ‘Doc’ Halladay, Phillies ace and National League Cy Young Award-winner, gets the Pro Athlete of the Year Award!
* Team of the Year goes to the Philadelphia Flyers
* Shane Victorino, the popular ‘Flyin’ Hawaiian’ and star centerfielder for the Phillies, in our Humanitarian Award-winner
* The Native Son Award will go to soccer star Bobby Convey who went on to World Cup and Major League Soccer stardom after his days at Penn Charter
* Bill Bergey, the standout middle linebacker of Dick Vermeil’s Eagles teams, will take home the Living Legend Award
* Elton Brand, of the 76ers, gets the 2011 Good Guy Award
* Sheila Reid, who led the Villanova to the NCAA Division I Women’s Cross County Title, is Amateur Athlete of the Year. Reid also won the Honda Award for the Top Female Athlete in Cross County.
* Other honorees include: Ian Laperriere, Flyers; Herb Magee, Philadelphia University; Al Bagnoli, Penn football; Fran Dunphy, Temple Basketball; Jack Childs, Drexel werstling; Matt Hoffman, Rowan football; Wyatt Middleton, Navy football; Charlie Manuel and Ruben Amaro, Phillies.
The banquet is always a highlight for local sports fans, and this year promises to be yet another awesome evening.
As always, our banquet is open to the public. Tickets are $95, and can be purchased by clicking here.
Doors opens at 5 p.m. and dinner begins at 6:30, and the hotel is located on Route 70, just minutes from the Delaware River bridges.